A great feature of web browsers is the ability to change the homepage, this is the first web-page you see when you open the browser. Most browsers currently default to a search engine as the first page you see. However, it is possible to change this page to whatever you want. Your favourite website, your email account, or a social network.
Changing the Home Page
The first step to chang your home page is to decide which website or page you want to use and copy the address or URL. An easy way to do this is to head over to the site or page, you want to use. Then Click in the long white bar at the top of the browser, right click (two finger click on Mac) on the blue highlighted text, and then Click Copy.
Now that you have the address saved, we can set it as the home page. Depending on which browser you use, the way we set the home page will be slightly different. Below you will find, what to do for the three major browsers; Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox when you want to change the homepage.
If you use Google Chrome, we have a quick set of steps that you can follow
- Open Chrome.
- In the top-right corner, click the Chrome menu
- Click Settings. (If you’re using a Chromebook, click “Show advanced settings” at the bottom of the page).
- Under “On start-up,” click Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Click Set pages.
- Enter the web address of the page that you want to see when you open Chrome.
- Click OK.
That is how you change your homepage using Google Chrome.
If you use Internet Explorer, you can follow these short steps;
- On the Start screen, tap or click Internet Explorer to open Internet Explorer.
- Go to a page that you’d like to set as a home page.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Settings.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Settings.)
- Tap or click Options, and under Home pages, tap or click Customize.
- Tap or click Add current site, edit the URL if you’d like, and then tap or click Add to make the site one of your home pages.
That completes the steps to change your homepage on using Internet Explorer.
Firefox makes it super simple to change the home page, just follow these steps
- Open a tab with the web page you want to use as your home page.
- Drag and drop that tab onto the Home button.
- Click Yes to set this page as your home page.
Using your new Home Page
Once you’ve gone through all the settings for your browser, everythings done. The next time you open your browser of choice, the first thing you will see is your favourite website, ready to go. You can update and change your home page as often as you like. If you chose a social network or email account (or anything that requires a log in) you may have to log in before reaching the desired page.
Looking for a little more help?
Having trouble changing your home page? S. Ihme can support you with personal consultants to help you with getting and working online. Click here to get in contact.